During setup and installation of the irServer components, irCatalog, and irServer Rule Execution Service, the installer can choose to host the component services on IIS or as a Windows Service.
Managed Windows Services
This option registers the WCF service as a managed Windows Service. Key benefits and limitations of managed windows services are as follows:
- Lifetime of the service process is controlled by the operating system and is not message activated.
- Most versions of Windows support managed Windows Services
IIS is recommended as the preferred approach for hosting InRule in service applications. Key benefits and IIS are noted below:
- Process recycling and health monitoring
- Message-based activation
- Built-in request throttling
- Built-in thread pooling and request queuing
As detailed in the InRule Installation Help File, InRule generally recommends IIS service types for irCatalog and irServer Rule Execution Service because of the built-in failover, queuing, administration, deployment, and scalability capabilities, as well as additional configuration options.
Please sign in to leave a comment.