The Collection element defines the relationship between a parent entity and its collection of child entities or local "complex" structures. The association is made in the Data Type dropdown list, which is populated with a list of defined entities.
Adding a collection
Right-click on the element to which you want to add to. Select Add -> Collection
Deleting a collection
There are a few ways to do this:
- Right-click on the collection you wish to delete, and select Delete.
- Click on the collection you wish to delete and click Delete on the Home Banner.
- Click on the collection you wish to delete and hit the [Delete]
You will be prompted to confirm the deletion. Click Yes.
Specifies the name of the collection.
Hint: Try to make the name of the collection plural, or more specifically the plural of the entity name that is contained within the collection. This will help others infer that it is a collection and what it's a collection of.
Specifies the name that will be used in the business language editor when referring to this field.
Specifies the data type of the collection. The data type can either be another entity definition or a complex data type. All existing entity types are available in the drop down combo box in addition to the complex data type.
- Most commonly used over complex collections
- Fields are defined on the entity to which the collection refers
- Have their own rule context (e.g. rules can be authored against Entity1.Collection1 if Collection1 is an entity collection)
- Less commonly used vs. entity collections
- Fields are defined inline in the entity structure beneath the complex collection
- Do not have their own entity rule context. All rules must be written at the parent entity level. This can lead to complexity in nested complex collection scenarios.
- To add fields to a complex collection, right click on the collection in the entity tree and select Add > Field, Calculation or Collection.
If Entity is selected for Data Type, the Entity type is selected here.
If "Entity" is selected for Data Type, checking this box will allows rules running on collection's entity type to reference fields on this entity, the parent.
Clicking on the hyperlink will navigate to the Vocabulary folder for the entity in which this collection is contained.
For collections that have a Data Type of "Entity", a Context rule set can be defined with the collection to manage rules that are specific to the context in which the entity is used within the collection.
Please sign in to leave a comment.