A Call Activity is when one process calls on another process as a part of the model.
How to add a call activity to a process model
Make sure the desired process has the reusable setting enabled, read more in the article Introduction to Process Studio.
Method 1: Drag and drop
- Open the asset browser and all processes available for reusing are shown under the section Available in this space.
- Select the desired process, then drag and drop the process on either an empty area or on an already modeled task.
Method 2: Transform task to call activity
- Open the settings for the desired task
- Change the task type to call activity
- Create a brand new process, or search and select an already existing, reusable process.
- If you choose to create a brand new process it will be created as a draft immediately.
Sub instance settings
If a call activity is used in your process application, instances sent to the secondary process will be called sub instances. By using the sub instance settings, it is possible to configure how the sub instances are named. It is also possible to set if the sub instance should be isolated from the master instance or not.
Select start event
If you have multiple start events in the call activity process model, it is possible to select which start event to trigger by double-clicking the incoming sequence flows. You can select which specific start event in the call activity will be triggered by each sequence flow. It is also possible to have manual start events in the call activity so that the process application can be triggered both by a call activity and manually via the Process Automation standard interface for starting instances. You may find that it is particularly convenient to have a manual start event during testing.
If you want to be able to access data from the master process in the call activity you need to:
- Add a data object in your process as an input to the call activity.
- Add a data object in your call activity with the same name as the one in the master process, as an output from the start event.
How to create a new form in your call activity
If you want to create a new form in your call activity and send the data object to the master process:
- Model the data object as output from the end event in the call activity.
- Create a new data object in the master process with the same name as the object in the call activity and model it as an output from the call activity.
View Modes will work as usual both in the master process and in the call activity.
Updating a call activity
When you update your call activity, you also need to update the master process by deploying a new version of the master process.
Deploy and assign roles
When you deploy your process, it is necessary to connect users and groups to both the master process roles and the call activity roles.
In most cases, you will need to assign groups to both the master process and the call activity by deploying the master process. This may be appropriate if the call activity is used by more than one master process.
It is also possible to use the Role Mapper to assign roles. This is appropriate if you want to involve the same users and groups in a role in your call activity as in your master process. Reusable roles appear when you have used a Role Mapper in your master process.