The role mapper is a feature in Process Automation designed to use form data to assign task permissions to a specific user. By using a Value list, you can assign which value corresponds with a user/group.
For example, you have a process that looks like this:
In the step called Review work order the performer can choose to send the request to a specific department. By using a Role Mapper, you filter the possible performers according to a drop-down list in your form and only the performers in this role connected to the chosen value in the drop-down receive the upcoming tasks.
How to create and set a Role Mapper as a participant
To set up your Role mapper you first need to create a Value list. This list contains the values of the drop-down you will map users and groups to.
- Navigate to Space settings and click on the Role mapper tab in the left-hand menu.
- Click Add new.
- Fill in the Name and Description of the Role Mapper. In the field Value list, select the list you want to use to map users and groups to its values. In the field, Default account set a default user that will receive the task in case the role mapper cannot find a user mapped to a value.
- In the next step, you select which groups or users correspond to which values. Click the empty field to the right of the value and start typing the name of the user or group to add it to the role mapper.
If you only want to see values that are undefined, you can check the box Only show undefined values on the right side.
The numbers within the brackets indicate how many users are within that group. This number includes subgroups.
If you add an empty group to the role mapper, the row will be marked red, indicating that there are no users in the group.
To administrate a group, you can click on the group icon to the far right of the row. You will then be redirected to the assigned group.
- Now you need to add your value list to a form connected to the application. Open the form editor and drag and drop the field from the folder called Value Lists - single select in the Toolbox.
Do not forget to save the form.
Role mappers are only compatible with single-select fields and are incompatible with multi-select fields.
- Deploy your application and map your created Role Mapper to the role where the mapped group or user should be assigned.
When to use Role mappers
Use Role Mappers when you want to set performers depending on a chosen value in a form field. For example, when you want to send the upcoming tasks to all the electricians if in the incoming support question form the question area is chosen to be in the electrician area.
You can also use Role Mappers together with Assign Roles, then the performers possible to choose can be filtered depending on a chosen value in a form field.