This article explains how to manage lists by using the features available in the List view.
Count the number of Instances or Tasks in a List
To count the number of tasks you have in your list, click on Item count.
After clicking on Item count you will see the number of items in the list.
The date filter next to the free text search bar in the list view allows you to apply a date filter to the list results from the List View without editing the list. This is helpful for end users who do not have permission to edit the list they are working in.
This will allow you to filter tasks or instances in the list by their start date. For example, if you choose the Date filter: Last 7 days, you will see all tasks or instances that were started in the last seven days.
Copy text from lists
Information can easily be selected with your cursor and copied.
The list actions menu is available in the left-hand corner of every list.
Set as default
Setting a list as your default means it will be the first list displayed when you first the List view.
Create new list
See the article How To: Create Your First List to learn how to create a new list.
Save as new list
Selecting the option Save as new list will duplicate the current list. This feature saves time; instead of creating lists from scratch, you can quickly make a similar list without starting over. This will also allow you to use the same list for other applications or filters. To learn
You can edit a list if you have editing permission. Read the section, List Permissions, to learn about List permissions settings. Selecting Edit list will open the list editor you see when you first create a list.
Here you can select and configure columns, add filters, choose which columns you will see in the list view, edit permissions to share the list, and configure Export settings. Read more about these settings in the article, How To: Create Your First List.
The List Designer allows you to set permissions to your own lists and lets you share them with others. In the same way, other users can share their lists with you.
The groups and users of your choice will only see information that they are entitled to. They will only see tasks they are allowed to perform or monitor, and only instances that they either are or have been a part of or have permission to see. If a space administrator has access to a list as user or part of a space group, they have the possibility to edit the list properties as well.
Configure List permissions
- In Lists open the list settings by selecting the list you wish to share, click on List actions, and Edit list.
- To share your list with other users, navigate to the List permissions tab.
- Choose groups and/or users to share your list to. You can add any group or user from the space you are currently working in.
- Choose which kind of permission you want to give.
View: Share the list content.
Edit: Share the list content and allow alteration and improvement of the list. The user must also have Admin rights in the space.
Full control: The same rights as Edit and the ability to delete the list. The user must also have Admin rights in the space.
- The Allow/Deny setting allows you to activate or deactivate the chosen permissions for the selected user or group. This is useful if you have a group or user that will need to have permission to the list on occasion. For example, summer workers. Add your group of summer workers to the list and set the desired permissions. Then you can Allow or Deny their access to the list seasonally without having to add and delete the group and reset permissions each time.
- Save your list.
Simply click on the Export button to download the list as an Excel file.
Lists are restricted to showing a maximum of 32 500 characters and 10 001 rows when exporting to Excel.
Delete a List
To delete a list select Edit list from the List actions menu.
Once you are in the editing view, you can select Delete list in the right-hand corner.
A pop-up will ask you if you want to delete the list, select Yes.
To sort and manage your lists they can be categorized. There are two default groups My lists and Lists shared with me and you can also create your own categories.
The list categories are shared within the space and everyone with access to a list in a category will see that category in the list viewer.
How to create a list category
- Either create a new list or select an already existing one and open the settings
- Write a new category name or browse among the existing categories of the space
- Save the list
- The list will appear under the category in the list viewer. All categories can be expanded or collapsed to easier find among the lists.
Process Automation will remember which list categories you had expanded or collapsed the last time you visited your lists.
Template for exporting lists
A list export template is a Microsoft Excel file that can be connected to and used as a template when exporting list data from InRule Process Automation.
You can use this feature to create custom-formatted exports using Excel's features, for example, charts and graphics.
We recommend that you are an advanced user of Excel. To get help with Excel, please see Microsoft's help.
The Lists only show the first 450 characters in a column and omit any following characters, there is also a 10 000 rows limit for an export. This is to ensure that the Lists are usable even when presenting a lot of text. Despite this, when you export the list to Excel you get the full content of a column text.
Configure a template for list export
- Go to the list you want to use. Select List actions in the upper right corner of the list and Export the list.
- Open the exported Excel file where you can customize it to fit your needs.
The data from Process Automation will always be exported to the sheet named “Barium Live data”. Process Automation will overwrite existing data in this sheet.
- You can add formatting like colors and font settings directly to the data in this sheet. You can also add new sheets where you reference the data in the sheet “Barium Live data”.
You cannot rearrange the columns in the Barium Live data sheet. The data will always be exported in the same order as your list is configured.
- Remove existing data and save the template.
It is great to have existing data when making your customized Excel export template, but before you save it, you want to make sure that you remove all rows in the “Barium Live data” sheet.
If you do not do this, there is a risk that this data will not be overwritten when exporting based on the number of rows in the export.
The supported formats of the template file are .xls or .xlsx
You can add information in other tabs to be included in your template, such as diagrams. Remember to keep the Barium Live data tab.
- Go to your list and select List actions and Edit list.
- Select the Export tab and upload the file you just saved.
- Save the list. The next time you export your list, the new template will be used.